Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Genealogy withdrawal

I spent the last week working on another hobby. Sewing. I don't do it very often, but decided with Christmas coming that I would make some small gifts. So, for the last week I have been cutting, measuring, sewing and ironing.

I now have a case of 'genealogy withdrawal.' I have ignored my blog because I haven't had time. I had a couple of emails asking questions and have dealt with those, and I have a great seminar to attend this Saturday in Phoenix. Curt B. Witcher, Manager of the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, is giving a seminar. This will not only be great fun, especially talking and meeting with other genealogists, but Mr. Witcher is very knowledgeable and I am certain to learn new things and get remotivated to start digging again.

I wrote to a Connecticut genealogist a few weeks ago about getting some help with research on my LANE family in his area. The miserable weather and no power slowed his response back, but he is very busy and can't take on a longterm project right now. I am not sure I really want someone else to do a longterm project for me at this point in time anyway. I just need to visit CT in the summer! The State Library in Hartford, according to this man, has many records that are not filmed or scanned. I need to spend a week (at least) sitting in the library and going through papers/books and files. I read someplace that only about 2% of the records available are filmed or online. We tend to think that if it isn't online or filmed - it must not be there. Not the case at all!

I also need to get back to reading my grandmother, Edna's, letters and continue to work on the book I am writing about their courtship, including memories of them and a bit of family history. I am hoping to share this information with cousins and other relatives, and future generations of BECKINGTONs.

No comments: