Sunday, February 22, 2015

Update on Sarah A. Huston

     On February 4 of this year, I had a post about the Fowlers in Michigan. This family had three daughters: Twins Mary Ann married a Herrick and Sarah Ann married a Huston. The youngest, my great-grandmother, Delphine E., married John A. McDougall.
     In that post, I stated that I did not know when, how or where Sarah Huston had died.
     I received Sarah's death record that I requested from Washtenaw County a few days ago. A few questions were answered, but I am still not sure where she is buried, although my guess is Highland Cemetery or Cherry Hill Cemetery in Ypsilanti.
     The death certificate states Sarah A. Huston, 83 years, 6 months and 15 days, died on February 26, 1926,  in the City of Ypsilanti. This calculates her birth date as August 11, 1842. I am quite sure it was August 12. The sad part is how she died.
     Cause of Death: Fell out of window and was fatally injured. Dementia, Senile, Blind.
     Her father's name was George Fowler, born in Canada and her mother's name was Hester Halstead, born in New York. Sarah's place of birth was Michigan. All that agrees with my records.
    Remember the public family tree on Ancestry.com that gave her maiden name as Hartsook? It wouldn't have taken much to verify the correct maiden name. 
     The Washtenaw County Clerk's office website is wonderful and efficient. They charged me $17.00 for this certificate. The nice thing is that they allowed me to give them some information although I didn't need an EXACT death date AND, I know they wouldn't have charged my credit card if they had not been able to find it. It also was done within a week and on it's way to me via the mail.
     So another mystery solved. But - where is she buried? And, by the way, I never heard back from any of the people I tried to contact who had the family trees with these people listed - with wrong information.



No comments: