Monday, January 9, 2012

Start of a book!


This morning, I took the first steps in creating my book on Garth and Edna Beckington and their courting year before their marriage in February, 1906. I now have an ISBN number. Of course, that is the mere beginning. I need to figure out how I am going to lay out the book, exactly what I am going to include, get in touch with cousins who have not responded to my "memories" request, get my family history in order and foremost, decide which of their many letters to include. I certainly can't transcribe them all (especially Edna's long, rambling 'epistles') or include them all. The family history section will be the first task completed. I am submitting my revised and rewritten manuscript (for lack of a better word) to my writers group this Thursday. I will also ask for their help, in the future, in figuring out which letters to include and how many, and get general recommendations on my final format. These ladies are knowledgeable, direct, interested and it has been exciting and fun to be in this group.

I am also going to do another McMemories this month.  This newsletter for our McDougall family, was started in the Summer of 2000. It has been fun for me to do, others to read, but probably not so much for everyone to contribute to it. I know that they enjoy reading it and keeping up with everyone. It started with my sister, Pat, and me. It has grew to include my father's two surviving sisters and brother. We still hear from one of the sisters, Aunt Mildred. Uncle John has passed away and Aunt Phyllis is no longer able to contribute. We also have contributions from various grandchildren (of Ken and Margaret Beckington McDougall) and are now even starting in with articles from the great-grandchildren. I consider it a historical record of the general comings/goings of our family, and the /births/deaths/marriages that have occurred over the years. I hope others do too.

Happy Birthday to my husband, Bruce!

No comments: